I knew I was supposed to get back to knitting. I still have my husbands gifts to complete but the sewing machine was just sitting there with a few scraps hanging around and I had the thought to quickly whip up a little bag for the girl’s baby doll in the fabric used for the scavenger hunt bag.
When the bag was done…I got to thinking that perhaps the bag needed a coat and hat to go with it. As the baby gets dragged along on our outings more these days, and we are in the throws of a Colorado winter there has been talk of Sally Watertoo (the baby doll) needing a coat, hat and shoes. I had some fleece left over from Halloween two years ago, and used that along with some scraps from the bags to put together a little coat. It was a really simple, quick and enjoyable project.
Here is what I did.
- trace around an existing outfit to make pattern.
- cut two pattern pieces and then slice one down the middle to make the front side.
- make small slit in backside of coat – this will be the kick pleat.
- cut contrast trim pieces: triangular shape for kick pleat in back and 2 strips for front trim.
- pin and sew on contrast pieces.
- assemble coat – pin right side together and sew around edges.
- gift a little doll loving someone a cute little coat.